It points out a science fiction branch whose the stories take place in a dystopia in which the computing technology (neural implant, virtual reality, hackers, developers, sprawling multinational companies…) is omnipresent. The (anti-)heroes are often some lost souls in search for identity who use that technology or are weakly dependent.
Matching words : Anticipation, Steampunk, Virtual reality
- Neuromancer, and all the work of William Gibson
- The Shockwave Rider, by John Brunner
- Mirrorshades (collection of short stories), by Bruce Sterling
- Snow Crash, ny Neal Stephenson
- The Matrix trilogy, by the Wachowski brothers