- In medicine, vessels are “pipes” transporting the blood in an organism. We distinguish “arteries” (which transport blood from the heart to the organs) and “veins” (from the organs to the heart).
- In science fiction, a vessel is an artificial vehicle allowing people to move in space. We distinguish several kind of vessels:
- Orbital vessel: designed to shuttle back and forth between a planet and facilities in orbit, or to move between two facilities in orbit.
- Interplanetary vessel: conceived to move between two planets belonging to a same stellar system (the current technology would allow the construction of such vessels).
- Interstellar vessel: designed to move between stars belonging to a same galaxy.
- Intergalactic vessel: designed to move between two galaxies.
Matching words: Colony ship, Solar sail